This is our essential guide to iPhone security! In this article, you will learn about securing your iOS device from Hackers and stay safe from hacking attempts. This guide will help you be more secure and will hopefully answer your question about ‘How to Secure your iPhone device from Hackers?‘ then you are at the right place. Overall rated Apple’s iOS is a lot more secure than Android and other operating systems. Their eco-system is secure with lots of security measures in place.
There are still some security settings that you will have to change and alter to ensure maximum security. Below you will see why and how you can have peace of mind when it comes to iOS security.
- 1 How to Secure your iPhone Smartphone from Hackers and Hacking (2018 Edition)
- 2 1) ALWAYS keep your iOS version up-to-date
- 3 2) Enable Encryption on your iPhone
- 4 3) Enable Two-Step Verification on your Apple ID
- 5 4) Enable Find My iPhone before it’s too late
- 6 5) Awareness is key to online security and safety
- 7 6) Keep updating your Passwords for your Apple ID
- 8 Conclusion
How to Secure your iPhone Smartphone from Hackers and Hacking (2018 Edition)
1) ALWAYS keep your iOS version up-to-date
No software or operating system is perfect. There are bugs and vulnerabilities in all of them discovered occasionally. These vulnerabilities and weaknesses can be from minor to serious. These can allow Hackers and Spammers to gain remote access to your iOS device. Latest updates address and fix many of the bugs and patch the vulnerabilities. Apple is known for providing quick security patches.
To update your iPhone to the latest iOS follow the steps below:
- Go to ‘Settings‘.
- Then tap on ‘General‘.
- Now click on ‘Software Update‘.
- If a new version of iOS is available, you will be able to download and install it from there.
2) Enable Encryption on your iPhone
We store a lot of data on our phones from contacts, emails, passwords, images and you name it. This data is very sensitive. You can enable this by either setting up Face ID, fingerprint lock or even a password on the phone.
You will need to make sure data encryption is enabled on your iPhone. Erase data also needs to be enabled so when there are 10 failed attempts at unlocking your Phone. Everything will be erased. Follow the tips below for extra security:
- Use Face ID, Touch ID or Password for unlocking your device.
- Please do not use the 4-Digit Numeric Code. Use the Custom Numeric Code or the Alphanumeric Code.
- Make sure when you do local backups on your PC, check the encryption box to make sure everything and files are encrypted.
- Make sure your Apple phone locks automatically. It should look as soon as the screen turns off.
3) Enable Two-Step Verification on your Apple ID
Your data in the cloud also needs to be secure and protected. Also known as Two-factor authentication this method can stop a hacker in their tracks. Every time you or anyone else will try to login to your Apple account, it will send a unique code via SMS to your smartphone or iPhone’s screen. You can either approve the login attempt (if it was you) or deny it if it was not you.
To turn on two-step verification on your Apple ID follow the steps below:
- Again, go to ‘Settings’.
- Where you see your name and picture tap on it.
- Tap on ‘Password & Security‘.
- Now select ‘Two-Factor Authentication‘
- Add your phone number and verify it.
You can find more information about 2-step verification on Apple’s official website.
4) Enable Find My iPhone before it’s too late
Find My iPhone is a feature on Apple smartphones that lets you find your Apple iPhone if it gets lost or stolen. It shows you its accurate location in real time. Its main purpose is not so that it can protect your iPhone from Hackers, However, it helps you erase all the data on the phone if you lose it. You can access it by visiting iCloud.com and locate your device or format it completely, even play a sound so you can find it if you placed it somewhere and forgot it.
So how do you enable Find My iPhone? Follow the steps below to turn it on:
- Click on ‘Settings’.
- Tap your name or profile picture again.
- Scroll below and you will see ‘Find my iPhone’.
- Turn on the toggle so it’s green and it will be enabled.
5) Awareness is key to online security and safety
Hackers are very clever, you need to be too. Only open Emails and Messages from friends and family you know and good sources. When receiving a message look at the preview, if there is something dodgy or strange don’t open it! Before opening any links or attachments in your Emails always check the source. There may be malicious links and files you receive in your Email that can allow hackers to take remote control of your iPhone.
Always scan attachments with a good Antivirus or Malware scanner. You can read our article and choose the Top Free Antivirus for Windows. This way you will catch any malicious attachments that you accidentally download or are eager to open.
6) Keep updating your Passwords for your Apple ID
Your Apple ID is the key to access all your iCloud and phones information! Make sure you have a strong password on your account. It is a good rule of thumb to keep changing your password every five to six months.
To change your Apple ID password, follow the steps below:
- Tap on the ‘Settings’ icon.
- Again, click on your name or picture.
- Open ‘Password & Security’.
- Now change it.
NOTE: These tips work on the following version of iOS and iPhone devices:
Operating system version:
- iOS 11
- iOS 10
- iPhone 5.
- iPhone 5s.
- iPhone 6, 6s and 6s Plus.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
- iPhone X.
No wonder iOS is secure by default. However, there are still some little changes here and there you must change in order to ensure maximum security. Your phone stores lots of important information about you from videos, photos, emails and so on. You must make sure that your iPhone is secure from Hackers. Security for iPhone is not a serious problem that if you don’t do it there is going to be any kind of dangers.
There are a lot of security protocols in place already by Apple. The tips shared above with you will help you increase your privacy as well along with the security of your iDevice. I hope you have enjoyed reading our guide on How to Secure your iPhone from Hackers and Hacking.